:

The weather in Syros is:

°C

KASTRI

Kastri is a prehistoric settlement uncovered in the northern Apano Meria area of Syros. Together with neighbouring Chalandriani, it is one of the most important discoveries of the Early Cycladic Period in Greece.

Dating back to approximately 2700-2300 BC, the settlement spreads over approximately five acres on a steep hill to the west of the Chalandriani plateau, and includes fortifications that indicate a period characterized by dangers and turmoil.

Unlike the main settlement of prehistoric Chalandriani, Kastri has been excavated. Discoveries include a rampart and a main wall with horseshoe-shaped towers. Inside are the remains of small, densely packed houses with one or two rectangular or curved rooms and narrow streets between them.

Also among the discoveries are tools, jewelry, pottery and small-scale crafts, indicating an advanced and organized society. Metal objects (axes, spearheads etc) and an impressive silver diadem with spotted decoration depicting human and animal figures also indicate advanced Bronze Age metal-working skills, which appear to have played an important role in the development of the settlement. Clay pots were used for smelting metals and clay molds for making tools and weapons.

Finds from Kastri are housed in the Archaeological Museum of Syros as well as the Museum of Cycladic Art and the National Archaeological Museum of Athens.

It is possible to hike to Kastri and there is a path that connects Kastri with prehistoric Chalandriani, but it is rough and the Apano Meria region of northern Syros is the most remote and rugged part of the island. So it is recommended that you hike with an experienced guide.

AREA OVERVIEW

NEARBY LOCATIONS

  • KASTRI

    Kastri is a prehistoric settlement uncovered in the northern Apano Meria area of Syros. Together with neighbouring Chalandriani, it is one of the most important discoveries of the Early Cycladic Period in Greece. Dating back to approximately 2700-2300 BC, the settlement spreads over approximately five acres on a steep hill to the west of the…
  • KLISOURA BEACH

    On the north side of the island, is the secluded beach of Klisoura which stands out for its wild beauty and crystal clear waters. The beach can be accessed by sea or via a hiking trail. This is a non-organized beach ideal for adventurous travelers who wish to enjoy a quiet day on the beach,…
  • CHALANDRIANI

    Along with nearby Kastri, Chalandriani is considered one of the most important Early Cycladic Period settlements found in Greece. Located just below the modern settlement of Chalandriani in the northern Apano Meria region of Syros, it is largely unexcavated. However, more than 600 graves have been discovered and it was probably the biggest settlement on…
  • PLAKOSTRWTO

  • SYKAMIA BEACH

    Sykamia beach is a very small and difficult to access beach in the area of Kampos. An ideal choice for travelers and hikers who wish to enjoy their swim in a haven of relaxation sheltered from the indiscreet eyes.
  • LYGERO

  • TERMA THEOU

  • APANO MERIA

    Apano Meria stretches on the mountainous terrain, where the tranquility and serenity are embracing the scattered farmhouses with the heady scents of fennel, thyme and wild olives. The view is magnificent, as a picture taken from times gone by while the few taverns that come into view here and there invite visitors to travel through…
  • THE CAVE OF PHERECYDES

    Pherecydes of Syros was an Ancient Greek mythographer and philosopher born in the 6th century BC. Although he is considered one of the early Greek thinkers (known as the Pre-Socratic philosophers), and some accounts believe him to be one of the Seven Wise Men of Greece, very little is known about his life – other…
  • ALONI

  • LIA BEACH

    Lia beach is located in Aetos Bay in the northwestern part of the island and it is accessible by boat from Kini or through a trail that begins from the Kampos region in Apano Meria. It is situated about 50 minutes away from the beach. Lia is available for travelers who wish to enjoy the tranquility of the island, dive in the clear blue waters and relax under the trees overlooking the azure and the rock of Grammata.
  • PINAKOTI

  • MEGAS LAKOS BEACH

    The beach of Megas Lakos is a pristine beach preserving its purity as it has not followed the tourist development of the island. The beach is accessible by hiking, by private boat or tour boat from Kini. Located in the northwestern part of the island Megas Lakos offers a natural retreat for travelers wishing to enjoy…
  • MARMARI BEACH

    Marmari is a secluded, sandy and almost private beach in Ano Meria that can be visited only by hiking, private boat or with a boat from Kini. This unorganized beach allows bathers to relax away from the crowds and enjoy hours of complete relaxation.
  • AETOS BEACH

    Aetos is a charming small beach on the Northwest part of Syros that offers an oasis of calm and serenity away from the tourist resorts. It is a natural bay with turquoise waters and golden sand. It can be reached by boat from Kini or on foot either by taking a hiking path from Barbarousa…
  • AVLAKI BEACH

    Avlaki is a favorite beach destination for those who enjoy absolute privacy and love hiking as the only way to visit the beach is either by boat from Kini or from a path in Ano Meria in the Northwest of the island.  
  • GRIA SPILIA BEACH

    Gria Spilia is a beautiful beach at Apano Meria which is surrounded by a lush landscape, a landscape inspired and created by the American economist John Pearson in his attempt to beautify this barren side of the island. The beach is accessible either by boat from Kini or through a hiking path from the region…
  • VAPORAKI

  • AGIOS DIMITRIOS

    On May 25th of 1936 Manousos Pelekis from Ermoupoli had a vision which led him to the icon of Saint Demetrios. After the command of the Metropolitan of Syros at the time, Filaretos a magnificent stone church of Byzantine style with a dome was built in the exact place where the icon was found, a church greeting the ships that arrived. The Temple stands out for the stone walls on the inside as well as the few icons that adorn them. Ships arriving or leaving the port of Ermoupolis whistle just as they pass from St. Demetrios while the priest of the temple, greets them…
  • AGIOS ATHANASIOS

    The first Church of St. Athanasios was built in 1631 but has since suffered several destructions and after being rebuilt again and again it is now standing impressively in a ravine, surrounded by platans and running spring water on the backside of Ano Syros. It is a beautiful stone church with a stone belfry adorning…
  • GRAMMATA BEACH

    Grammata is a quiet and secluded beach on the North of the island, an ideal place for travelers wishing to enjoy complete freedom under the tamarisk trees along the shore and hiking enthusiasts who are welcome to follow an hourly route from Ano Meria to get to the beach. The beach is sheltered from the…
  • GRAMMATA

    At this point, sailors used to moor their vessels when the weather did not allow them to continue their journey. During such moments they prayed to the gods either to thank them for being rescued from the bad weather, or to plead to them to safely continue their travels. They used to smoothly carve their…
  • VARVAROUSA BEACH

    Barbarousa beach is located in Aetos Bay, North of Delfini Beach and just 12 km from Hermoupolis. This is a beautiful secluded beach ideal for discerning travelers who seek utmost tranquility when it comes to their daily holiday excursions. The beach is accessible by boat from Kini or for the more adventurous souls through a trail…
  • THE CEMETERY OF THE ANGELS

    The Cemetery of the Angels is dedicated to young unbaptized sweethearts who have once passed from this very blessed place.
  • AGIA PARASKEVI

    Agia Paraskevi was built in 1600 in Alithini and belongs to the shipowner Athanasio Martino. This is a private church with a dome built in Byzantine style that was reconstructed and expanded in 1873. Located in a perfect location the church offers magnificent views to the island’s harbor as well as the Cyclades. Under the church there is a smaller Temple, the temple of all Saints hosting the bones of victims from the ship that was lost in the fire of 1876. Agia Paraskevi is commemorated on July the 26th with a spectacular feast.
  • THE BUST OF PHILOSOPHER PHERECYDES

    The bust of philosopher Pherecydes was created to honor this local poet and philosopher who left his mark in world history.
  • SAINT GEORGE

    Saint George is the Catholic diocese of Syros. Built in 1200 on the highest point of the hill of Ano Syros it has undergone numerous renovations and reconstructions over the years, the latest being that of the Tinian architect Chatzisimos. It is a large complex including the Church, the Bell Tower, the baptistery, the sacristy, the hospitality room, the historical archive building, the Episcopal Palace and an abandoned house. The Cathedral is a three-aisled Basilica with marble columns. Statues of Saints by Italian sculptors of the 18th century dominate the entrance while on the inside visitors will certainly be impressed by the wood-carvings and marble flooring inspired by a Tinian sculptor.
  • SYRIANI KOUZINA

  • UPPOLIS

  • AGIOS NIKOLAOS ANO SYROS (OF THE POOR)

    Agios Nikolaos "of the poor" is located in Ano Syros and during recent renovations bones and graves were found dating back to the 16th century. It is the oldest temple of the island whose name derives from the last century when its revenues were disposed to support the poor of Eroupolis. It is a small, single-aisle church with a pitched roof and an impressive Bell Tower.