FESTIVAL & EVENTS
Known for its cultural activities but also for the coexistence of the Orthodox and Catholic doctrine, Syros could not do otherwise but celebrate its Saints with a series of celebrations. The celebration of Easter is also a big event on the island as well as the various cultural and sports events held throughout the year.
Festivals & Religious Events
- 17/1 St. Anthony in Mega Gialos (Orthodox)
- 29/6 St. Peter in Kini (Orthodox)
- 30/6 Sacred Heart of Jesus in Galissas (Catholic)
- 12/7 St. Benedict in St. Michael (Catholic)
- 18/7 Agia Marina in Kini (Catholic)
- 18/7 Virgin Mary of Mount Karmilou in Galissas (Catholic)
- 20/7 Prophet Elijah in the Episcopeio (Orthodox)
- 26/7 Agia Paraskevi in Alithini (Orthodox)
- 27/7 Saint Panteleimon in Papouri (Catholic)
- 2/8 Our Lady of Graces in Kini (Catholic)
- 7/8 The Transfiguration in Agros (Catholic)
- 7/8 St. Kyriacou (Tsirikou) in Danako (Catholic)
- 9/8 St. George in Kampos (Catholic), in Apano Meria, Syros
- 11/8 Remembrance of the Miracle Saint Spyridon in Chroussa (Orthodox)
- 15/8 The Assumption in Galissas, Kini, Pagos, Episcopeio, Chalandriani (Catholic)
- 17/8 St. Mamas in Galissas (Orthodox)
- 23/8 St. John Evangelist in Platy Vouni (Catholic)
- 29/8 St. John Baptist in Alithini (Orthodox)
- 6/9 Nativity of the Theotokos (Virgin Mary of Candles) in Parakopi (Catholic)
- 8/9 Nativity of the Theotokos in Chroussa and Pagos (Catholic), Virgin Mary Lwtiani and Virgin Mary Bouliani in Kini.
- 9/14 Holy Cross in Parakopi, Alithini and Talanta (Catholic)
- 24/9 Panagia Phaneromeni in Chroussa (Catholic)
- 1/10 Saints Cosma & Damianou (AG. Anargyroi) at Ano Meria (Catholic)
- 4/10 Saint Michali in Epano Meria (Catholic)
- 8/10 St. Theresia in Danako (Catholic)
The Holy Easter
Easter in Syros is an event not to be missed. The Holy Friday procession both of the Orthodox and the Catholics illuminates the streets of Syros with heavenly lights, giving an even more magical character to the already mystique atmosphere. The first Resurrection liturgy in the Orthodox Church of the Resurrection is accompanied by the rhythmic slapping on the Church pews while the liturgy on the night of the Resurrection, at the same church, is accompanied by the strong sounds and the flashes of countless fireworks. The procession of the statue of Jesus by the Catholics, right after the Liturgy is also very impressive. The ultimate unification of faith is achieved in Poseidonia, where Orthodox and Catholics follow the procession of the epitaph at the same time, with the background sounds of the cheery whistle of ships.
The “Syros Culture” Festival is a series of cultural events with music, theatrical performances and artistic revelations that take place throughout the summer in the Municipality of Ermoupolis.
The island’s big carnival takes place in Ano Syros where customs from the past are revived, combined with masquerading, traditional dances, special seasonal dishes and delicacies.
On Ash Monday all over the country and likewise in Syros, the Koulouma have their honorary inviting both locals and visitors to fly their kite and have fun with traditional dancing, singing and local dishes in the picturesque village of Galissas.