:

The weather in Syros is:

°C

PHERECYDES CAVE

On the road to Ano Syros and shortly after the rural settlement of Kyperoussa one can find the cave of Pherecydes. To reach the cave he must follow a small dirt road that slowly begins to go downhill leading visitors to a magnificent land nuzzled between the earth, the sky and the blue horizon. That’s where the cave where the theogonist poet and philosopher Pherecydes used to reside during the cold winter months in the 6th century BC.

AREA OVERVIEW

NEARBY LOCATIONS

  • PINAKOTI

  • ALONI

  • VAPORAKI

  • LYGERO

  • AGIOS DIMITRIOS

    On May 25th of 1936 Manousos Pelekis from Ermoupoli had a vision which led him to the icon of Saint Demetrios. After the command of the Metropolitan of Syros at the time, Filaretos a magnificent stone church of Byzantine style with a dome was built in the exact place where the icon was found, a church greeting the ships that arrived. The Temple stands out for the stone walls on the inside as well as the few icons that adorn them. Ships arriving or leaving the port of Ermoupolis whistle just as they pass from St. Demetrios while the priest of the temple, greets them…
  • AGIOS ATHANASIOS

    The first Church of St. Athanasios was built in 1631 but has since suffered several destructions and after being rebuilt again and again it is now standing impressively in a ravine, surrounded by platans and running spring water on the backside of Ano Syros. It is a beautiful stone church with a stone belfry adorning…
  • THE CEMETERY OF THE ANGELS

    The Cemetery of the Angels is dedicated to young unbaptized sweethearts who have once passed from this very blessed place.
  • CHALANDRIANI

    Chalandriani is located 9.5 kilometers away from Ermoupolis, on the northeast side of the island and it is one of the most important archaeological sites within the Cyclades as a prehistoric acropolis dating back to the 3rd millennium BC has been discovered in the area after excavations conducted by Christos Tsountas in the late 19th century.
  • THE BUST OF PHILOSOPHER PHERECYDES

    The bust of philosopher Pherecydes was created to honor this local poet and philosopher who left his mark in world history.
  • AGIA PARASKEVI

    Agia Paraskevi was built in 1600 in Alithini and belongs to the shipowner Athanasio Martino. This is a private church with a dome built in Byzantine style that was reconstructed and expanded in 1873. Located in a perfect location the church offers magnificent views to the island’s harbor as well as the Cyclades. Under the church there is a smaller Temple, the temple of all Saints hosting the bones of victims from the ship that was lost in the fire of 1876. Agia Paraskevi is commemorated on July the 26th with a spectacular feast.
  • SAINT GEORGE

    Saint George is the Catholic diocese of Syros. Built in 1200 on the highest point of the hill of Ano Syros it has undergone numerous renovations and reconstructions over the years, the latest being that of the Tinian architect Chatzisimos. It is a large complex including the Church, the Bell Tower, the baptistery, the sacristy, the hospitality room, the historical archive building, the Episcopal Palace and an abandoned house. The Cathedral is a three-aisled Basilica with marble columns. Statues of Saints by Italian sculptors of the 18th century dominate the entrance while on the inside visitors will certainly be impressed by the wood-carvings and marble flooring inspired by a Tinian sculptor.
  • SYRIANI KOUZINA

  • AGIOS NIKOLAOS ANO SYROS (OF THE POOR)

    Agios Nikolaos "of the poor" is located in Ano Syros and during recent renovations bones and graves were found dating back to the 16th century. It is the oldest temple of the island whose name derives from the last century when its revenues were disposed to support the poor of Eroupolis. It is a small, single-aisle church with a pitched roof and an impressive Bell Tower.
  • THE ARCHIVES OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF ANO SYROS

    The municipality of Ano Syros testifies the excellent organization of the first municipality of the Greek nation.
  • PANAGIA KARMILOU

    As indicated on the sign above the entrance, Panagia Karmilou in Ano Syros dates back to 1640. It is a Catholic Church which was rebuilt in 1824, under the supervision of the Tinian builder Hatzi Simou and now bears a marble facade. The impressive decoration of the interior of the Church creates a unique setting…
  • ANO SYROS

    Ano Syros was founded in 1200 by the Venetians and continued to be inhabited throughout the course of history while maintaining its Catholic and medieval character. A city characterized by countless steps that pass by the white houses and arches at the edge of the hill leading to the top of the village where the Catholic Cathedral of Saint George is situated. The town was created gradually, amphitheatrically on the rocks like a natural fortress so as to keep its residents safe from several attacks while the exterior walls of all houses formed a natural fort protecting the locals from the raids. The…
  • TRADITIONAL PROFESSIONS EXHIBITION

    The exhibition of traditional professions gives visitors an idea of the daily life of the locals throughout the years.
  • XANTHOMALLIS

  • UPPOLIS

  • THE CHURCH OF THE RESURRECTION

    The Church of the Resurrection of the Savior is a magnificent temple dedicated to the "Resurrection of the nation" dominating on the hill of Ermoupolis. The church was constructed in 1874 by the local architect Dimitris Eleftheriadis but began to work consistently from 1908 onwards. This is a three-aisled Church of Byzantine style with neoclassical elements, a dome, impressive bell towers and very special icons. The Church is celebrated on the Sunday of St. Thomas and organizes various events for both children and adults. [gallery ids="990,993,996"]  
  • GAVIOTIS TRAVEL (BRANCH)

  • IOAKEIM

  • VAPORIA

    The area of Vaporia is an upscale district of Syros with impressive architectural touches that bear witness to the glamorous past.
  • EMPATI

  • MARKOS VAMVAKARIS EXHIBITION

    The Markos Vamvakaris Museum captures the island’s artistic personality through the exceptional collections of this authentic composer.
  • VAPORIA APARTMENTS

    Vaporia Apartments are located on the highest point of the famous district of Vaporia in Ermoupoli. This is a complex with newly built and spacious studios for two people that offer a comfortable, cozy and affordable choice of accommodation for all guests. All neoclassical studios are double in size from the traditional double rooms and feature traditional furniture, iron beds, bathroom with marble lining, two balconies and all the modern amenities for a truly unforgettable stay in Syros. Contact: Tel.: 6973235323, 2281082252 (9:30-14:00 & 19:00-21:00), 6972764784, 6973024802 Fax: +30 2281085769 email: [email protected] Address: Makedonias 6, Ermoupoli, 84100, Syros
  • KLISOURA BEACH

    On the north side of the island, is the secluded beach of Klisoura which stands out for its wild beauty and crystal clear waters. The beach can be accessed by sea or via a hiking trail. This is a non-organized beach ideal for adventurous travelers who wish to enjoy a quiet day on the beach,…
  • KASTRI

    At a distance of about 45 minutes from Chalandriani a prehistoric settlement from the later years of the Early Cycladic period II has been discovered covering an area of 3.5 to 5 acres. In this area the excavations brought to light a graveyard with about 600 tombs as well as ruins of inestimable value that…
  • MITSOS

  • CYBELI INSTITUTE

    The Cybeli Institute is an experiential Museum of Education & Arts.